Junk silver refers to the dimes, quarters and half dollars that the U.S. Mint produced before 1965 that contained 90% silver. These coins were once used as everyday legal tender. Starting in 1965, the U.S. Mint changed the composition of its coinage to a combination of copper and nickel and removed all silver content. U.S. Mint 90% silver coins(the other 10% is copper), especially silver dimes are an ideal way of accumulating silver and of holding silver in a form that is ideal for barter exchanges.
Silver dimes act as a store of value and as a barter item. Each 90% silver dime weighs 2.5 grams and contains .07234 ounces of pure silver. Unlike fractional ounce silver rounds that often sell at high premiums, silver dimes have no such additional premium. 90% silver dimes are valued for their silver content and are priced relative to the spot price of silver, without a fabrication premium. To make the calculation convenient, we sell 90% silver coins by face value. A popular way to acquire silver dimes coins is by purchasing bags with face values of $100 or $500.
Pre-1965 U.S. silver Roosevelt dimes (1946-1964) share the same front design as dimes minted since 1965 and therefore are easily recognizable and as such, are perfectly suited for barter should the need ever arise. The predecessor to the Roosevelt Dime, the Mercury Dime, also can be used for barter and are highly collectible.
Here are some silver dime buying options.
The Mercury Dime (1916 – 1945)
You can buy Mercury Dimes in increments of $1 face value (ten dimes), $5 face value (in rolls of 50) or $100/$500 face value (in bags of 1,000/5,000).
The Roosevelt Dime (1946 – present)
The Roosevelt Dime, like the Mercury Dime, was minted in 90% silver from 1946-1964. The Roosevelt silver dime is identical in design to Roosevelt Dimes minted since 1965. To verify that a Roosevelt dime is 90% silver, one only has to check the dime to see if it is date prior to 1965.
2016 Roosevelt Dime/1964 Silver Roosevelt Dime Front
Pre-1965 silver dimes are virtually indistinguishable from copper clad versions of the coin dated 1965 – present.
2016 Roosevelt Dime/1964 Silver Roosevelt Dime Back
You can buy Roosevelt Dimes in increments of $1 face value (ten dimes), $5 face value (in rolls of 50) or $100/$500 face value (in bags of 1,000/5,000).